Natures Wonders

Natures Wonders
Our Pond In the Snow

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Pubahs Cross Country Camping Trip Part 3

7/10/2001   Day 11  The Pacific Coast

I climbed down the rocky cliff to the tide pools below, and was staring with amazement at the intertwined starfish. I assumed they were having sex all bunched together like that, but I had no way of knowing. So I balanced myself on the rocks and took a roll of pictures.I didn't want to leave but I had already experienced a 2 hour traffic jam outside of Santa Cruz. I'd wanted to stop at some of the hundreds of State Parks that seemed to dot California's coastline, but the traffic jam would put a damper on that. I was, however, going North to a Redwood Forest that had been turned into a state park.

As soon as I got up this morning, I drove the few miles to the ocean. I shouted "I made it!" and started taking pictures, looking for a way down to the ocean. The beach is different here than it is on the East Coast, or the Gulf Coast. Its very rocky, with cliffs, where the ocean comes up and crashes against the cliffs. I had to drive to find a way down. Then I followed people who looked like they were going out to the coast.

Dawnie had given me a baggie to get her some sand, but this wasn't the spot to do it. It was all rocks and cliffs. It was absolutely beautiful but the sand might have to come from Newport Beach.

Leaping from rock to rock was how I found the starfish. But the tide was washing over the rocks. I couldn't tell if it was going out or coming in, but that hardly mattered. I had on my Chocko sandals and a pair of hiking shorts with big pockets, so I was dressed for whatever nature threw at me. I turned my camera on a sea anemone for a few frames, the stood there, balanced on the rocks, looking west.......

I studied the map and decided on The Henry Cowell Redwood Forest (see pics below)

Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park



I am in love. I am in awe. This is where I belong, here in these forests, amongst theses ancient trees. I can understand why Julia Butterfly Hill sat in the tree she called "Luna" for 2 years, to protect it from being cut down. She took a stand to protect these trees, and were I young and in California I may have joined her.



Julia Butterfly Hill  dateline interview


After a few hours of walking in a daze through the forest, I reluctantly climbed back in the Jeep and headed for my last KOA on this part of the trip.

Studying the map, I decided to travel down Hwy 1A until time to find my camp ground. Wow! I had thought the redwood forest and the tidal pools were cool. Travelling this road was amazing.

It was messing with my sense of direction though. The ocean being on the right as I traveled south was something I had never experienced. My head told me North should be in front of me if the ocean was on the right. Maybe I just thought I had a good sense of direction!

I had never been on a road so gorgeous! It was even better than The Blue Ridge Parkway. The only problem was there was hardly ever a place to stop and take pictures. When there was a spot, it was a private driveway , and they all said, NO STOPPING!! NO PARKING!! I had to be happy with driving slowly and looking at the cliffs and what I could see of the ocean. At times the road was very curvy, and driving cautiously was a good idea anyway, but I kept having cars ride my bumper and of course there was no passing so they couldn't go around. I used those times to pull over in the less than friendly driveways and let people go around. Sometimes I would park and take a few pics. When I got far enough south I said goodbye to Hwy 1A and headed toward the campground.

This KOA was hidden well. I had no reservations and wasn't sure if I would be setting up a tent or snuggling up in a warm Kabin bed, so when I got tired of searching (which didn't take long), I pulled over at a gas station where I saw a California State Trooper car and asked him. He was very pleasant and seemed kind of tickled by my accent, but his advice was great. He knew I was on the right road but didn't know the exact location, so he said, "Hey, just follow that RV." I jumped in the Jeep, following the slow RV, and arrived at the KOA right before dark. When I went in to inquire about a Kabin, the lady said she had 3 available but was going to put me next to the ladies that were camping with there kids so I wouldn't be so far from company. As soon as I got out of the car I was approached by a 10/11 year old Mexican boy who ask me to come over to his Kabin for dinner. I was famished! I threw my pillow and sleeping bag on the bunk, along with my sleep backpack and went to meet my neighbours. They were the nicest group of people I think I have ever met. 4 kids and 2 women, camping and making fajitas over a camp fire. It was all fresh, and home-made, and delicious! If the guy who had tried to steal my tire had made me think badly about Mexican people, this group of people changed it all, and it was just the next day. So I was prejudiced for a day. Just goes to show you that stereotyping is stupid. I drank a couple too many beers, said goodnight, and headed back to my Kabin to catch up on some postcards. Now this was before I had a computer and before everyone had email, so I had quite a few to do. In all I finished 16 postcards and lay down to sleep.

Sleep was elusive that night. Tomorrow I had to get to Newport Beach and switch modes. From explorer to judge. I had to learn new routines,and a new code of points. I needed to pass my film so I could stay a 7/8 judge and not fall back in ranking and in pay. These symposiums were always very stressful on me, and damn it...it was my birthday in 2 days!! Sleep finally came but the hour was late.

7/11/2001 - 7/16/2001 Days 12- 17 Newport Beach, California

                                        SYMPOSIUM


Good room-mates...Kathy and Claire...they got in last so they had to share beds! Everyone is on Eastern time and I had already adjusted so I wasn't ready to go as early as they were, but we went to the most expensive hotel buffet breakfast Ide ever eaten. I had forgotten its Kathy's birthday too. Classes, classes, classes. But we did get to ride bikes and ride the ferry to Balboa Island. We (Kathy and I ) took Stephanie,and Catherine out to Joes Crab Shack. We both got kinda drunk and had fun when the waitress had us dress up and run through the restaurant and yell and cheer.They were embarrassed.


We got back and went to the hotel bar and shot pool with 2 British guys on vacation from their wives. I cant play pool but Sue was there and she can. She showed them up! I took some pics of us on the beach. It was to cold to swim, (and its July!) but we did handstands!

More classes,classes,classes. and finally, tests. I took my practical and my film. I think I passed my practical but not the film.I know I got Bars wrong.After leaving Catherine at the airport for a standby flight I wimped out  and stayed at a motel. I went to Barstow and settled in a Days Inn for the night.I found a full service Shell station and am getting the Jeeps Oil changed in the am before heading East.I would love to see the North rim of The Grand Canyon and somehow get through Colorado on the way home. I'm going to study the map while I have an extra bed to spread everything out on, and no fear of losing my glasses are on my mind.








No comments: